There are various ways in which you can help your family member deal with his illness. Here are the Do’s and Dont’s :
1. Turn his negatives into positives.
(Will help in changing his perspective)
2. Ensure he is taking his medicines
3. Treat him as normal as others
(will help them not feel left out)
4. Take help of doctor if the patient has down syndrome, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc
( Cause these patients can behave violently)
5. Prepare his favorite food, play his favorite game with him, watch a movie with him and keep him happy
( of course, with precautions considering the type of disease he has)
6. At the end of the day, talk to him about his day, how he is feeling and tell him that you love him and will support him in his journey of dealing with mental illness
(btw also seriously help him don’t say it for the sake of saying lol )
1. Yelling, teasing, dissing, shouting, beating, and being sarcastic
( his health is more important than your ego)
2. Behaving extremely different.
( change in your behavior towards him can lead to him doubting you all the time)
3. Keeping him in the house/ one room all the time
( going for a walk with him, making him feel free to unknown people and socializing, will help making him feel safer. but you need to talk to the doctor about the precautions you keep in mind regarding his particular illness)
4.Keeping him away from his loved and trusted person.
( it can be his friend, his college or his cousin, don’t try to keep him away from them.He will mostly not harm them since he is receiving treatment and is in the recovery process. Being with his trusted people will help him feel happy and safe)
5. Always lecture about his problem
( suggesting things is good but only at that time when he is just a few steps behind being fully recovered. Until then, follow doctors advise.)
6 Suggest illogical solutions
( it will not help)
Lastly, he needs your love and support.
He is going through a rough phase. You will never know how he is feeling. Mental diseases and physical diseases have a lot of differences. Never abandon or leave a family member JUST BECAUSE he has a mental disease.
HE DID NOT CHOOSE THIS.
we are not doctors but these techniques are very logical and are written on basis of various psychological theories. To be fully sure of what you should be doing, contact the doctor.
All the best