You may have heard about Time Management for studies, for work for other jobs, etc. But today, we are gonna see the time management for SOCIAL MEDIA.
According to a study, People spend 12 years on social media in a lifetime. Imagine if we have had used this time for something else. Our life would have been awesome!
Please note, it is VERY IMPORTANT to first know what EXACTLY does “social media” mean. This will help you understand the steps better.
Social media are websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.
eg – Tumblr, Twitter, Viber, VK, WeChat, Weibo, WhatsApp, Wikia, Snapchat, Youtube etc.
Now let’s see how we can manage our social media time.
1.Count how much time do YOU have in a day :
- A day has 24 hrs.
- Minus 24 hours with the TOAL hours you require for sleep.
- The remains are the time when you are active or awake.
- This time is the time we need.
Food time hasn’t been counted here because some watch videos and eat food while some just eat food (what up social media reference!!).
So it depends on you whether you want to minus the food time along with the sleep time or not.
2. List your social media :
- List down HOW MANY social media accounts do you use every day.
- Most people have Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram as daily accounts.
3. List down WHAT YOU DO in that social media :
- You may see stories on Instagram, chat on WhatsApp, binge watch on youtube, etc
- So this is what you have to list down here
- So after the 2nd step, write down what EXACTLY do you do on that particular social media platform.
4. Make groups :
- Insta, Facebook, Youtube could be some apps which consume ALOT of time.
- Whatsapp, Google, WordPress etc might not consume that much time.
- So you need to group each of your apps into two categories – “More time” and “Less time”
- The reason why I didn’t say “oh put a timer and count how much you spend blah blah blah” is because I know that every day is different for every social media. Today all my followed pages must be posting some good stuff but tomorrow they may not! So counting time makes no sense.
5. List your job :
- You may be a housewife, a student, a teacher or whatever.
- You note down what you do and what does your job demands from you.
6. Ask yourself :
- We listed the active time in point 1.
- Go there now.
- Ask yourself, do you do what you’re supposed to do, in MOST of the time you have in your hand?
- If yes, then you are a quite controllable person. If no, and you see that time for SOCIAL MEDIA ,then I fear you are a social media addict.
- Once you figure out whether you are an addict or not, problem-solving gets easier.
7. EXTRA activities :
- Now list down what EXTRA you do other than social media as a time-pass.
- Do you go outside, or play or what else do you do?
- Note it down and here you need to check how much average time you spend in doing it.
- eg- “I play for 2 hours daily”
8. Free time :
- Everyone has a free time.
- This free time means the time when you jump to your bed and say “aah! work is done!”.
- This could be the time you get in between lectures or a break.
- It could be any time.
- Now list down how much free time you get.
- Here you need to make a category – “more free time” and “less free time”
9. Utilize :
- I think you realized where we have reached now 😉
- Good that you’re smart. If you didn’t get it, no problem! Just keep reading!
- Ok, now that you have 4 categories –
- More time
- Less time
- More free time
- Less free time
all we need to do is join them.
- Yes, you are right. Use the apps consuming more time, from the more free time part of the day and use the fewer time apps in the less free time part of the day.
- See, it was so simple!
10. Utilise smartly :
- If you found that you are an addict, you need to cut down on the more free time you get.
- Since you’re not doing what you’re supposed to do, I assume the time in the “more free time” section of yours, must be HUGE. Like, say 5-6 hours.
- The more free time for a non-addict is usually 3-4 or maybe 2-3 hours.
- So, reduce your free time and do something else in that time.
- It’s not a fast process to get out of addiction.
- It takes time.
- You can read – Change yourself : teen edition for changing yourself.
Total time = 24 hours
My time = 24-10hour sleep= 14 hours
My social media –
What I do
1. Insta – Check stories
2. WhatsApp – check messages
3. Facebook – check stories
4. Youtube- watch videos
5. Gmail – see emails
6. Twitter- see trends, and tweet
more time – Insta, FB, youtube
less time – Twitter, Gmail, WhatsApp
My job – student
What I need to do – study
Do I do it? – Yes
How much time do I take to study – 5/14 hours
Extra activity – Playing games and going out to roam around.
Playing games – 1-2 hour
Going out – 3 hours
Time – 5/14 hours
Time spent – 5+5=10
Remaining free time – 4 hours
More free time – 4 hours
Less free time – Time between my lectures.
Final time management :
Apps for 4 hours -Facebook, Insta, Youtube.
Apps for short time – Gmail, WhatsApp, Twitter
- If you are running a bussiness on social media, I suggest having volunteers to help.
- For eg – You choose whatever you want to share or sell, and then give that infor to your volunterr and tell him to manage the uploads, comments, deliveries, checking inquiries etc.
- This will help your work get done, plus social media being managed.
- Voulnteer can be anyone – Your grandma, your child, your cousin, or friend or some colleges student.
- If you are say an instagrammer, you have alot of followers, then what you need to do, is upload the picture, and turn on the notifications. (keep notification on vibrate mode) and just check the notifications on the top of your mobile screen instead of going to the page itself.
- Another option is turning on the gmail notification of instagram. It helps keep notifications in a different app and gamil also comes under the “less time” category.
Pictorial memorization method for remebering technique :
Read more :
- 6 Project hacks that will ensure good marks.
- How to EASILY get topics for your blog …
- Mental health: how to know if you really need professional help.
- Working methods to know what EXACTLY do you want in life..
Thanks for reading
Like, share and subscribe for more.